Noah Quater raises the signal flags in the new hands-on children's display
In 2016 the Counting House Museum offered an exhibit that combines three different displays produced in the past few years by the historical society, including one funded by a grant from the Maine Humanities Council.
A new exhibit presents a peek behind the historic façade, beginning with the two original tall, heavy black doors that were transported to the museum when the Odd Fellows chapter closed in 2011 after 166 years.
"From the South Pacific to South Berwick: a Soldier's Letters Home" is on display at South Berwick Public Library.
Elaine Pelletier Holland of Rochester, NH, and Norman J. Pelletier of Gorham, ME, contributed their father’s war correspondence, journal and other memorabilia to the Counting House Museum in 2009. Two other relatives, Lloyd Pelletier of York and Theresa Wilkinson of South Berwick, gave copies of their extensive family genealogy and family photos.
Wildré Pelletier, who grew up on what is now often called lower Main Street, South Berwick, and attended St. Michael’s parochial school in the building that contains South Berwick Town Hall, entered the Army in 1943. He was one of two sons to do so in his French Canadian immigrant family of nine children. Their mother, Clementine, raised them alone after their father, Henry, died of pneumonia.
Style along the Salmon Falls through the lives of four South Berwick and Rollinsford families.
The Mathews family legacy
Fashions and tools used by local Mathews, Hayes, Lord, Jellison and Woods families will welcome visitors at the Counting House Museum this season.
The Counting House is staffed by Old Berwick Historical Society volunteers from 1:00 to 4:00 pm on weekends through October, and year round by appointment. Admission is by donation.
Thanks to the hard work of archaeologists with the Old Berwick Historical Society, local residents can now glimpse early decades of settlement in this part of New England. South Berwick was settled about 14 years after Plimoth, and was part of a larger town designated as Berwick in 1713.
“Some things, like sharing camaraderie over pints of ale, haven’t changed in 300 years,” said Paula Bennett, a society board member. “A tavern stood where Brattle Street meets Oldfields Road, which was then the center of town, just as people enjoy the taverns now thriving downtown South Berwick.”