After Berwick Academy was founded in 1791, Academy Street attracted leading citizens, notably judges and lawyers, craftsmen and merchants, to build their homes. Most are still standing today.
This portion of Academy Street is part of the South Berwick Village Historic District listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
This building is part of the South Berwick Village District on the National Register of Historic Places. George C. Yeaton, Esq., built this home at the height of his career. His famous cases included the 1873 trial in Alfred of the Smuttynose murders at the Isles of Shoals, and his successful 1901 defense of South Berwick selectman Edwin H. Knight in a sensational trial for the murder of his housekeeper, Fannie E. Sprague. Later in the 20th century the house became a restaurant, and today it is the Academy Street Inn.
The Oakes House, part of the Berwick Academy National Register District, was built about 1859 by a justice of the peace named Abner Oakes (1820-1899). His office was a little building, now on Norton Street, that was once located on Main Street south of the Parks Store.
The Oakes House on Academy Street was the birthplace of Judge Oakes’ daughter, artist Marcia Oakes Woodbury (1865-1913), who with her husband Charles H. Woodbury illustrated the 1893 edition of Deephaven by Sarah Orne Jewett. Their drawings for the novel depicted scenes and people from South Berwick, southern Maine and seacoast New Hampshire.
This building is part of the South Berwick Village District on the National Register of Historic Places. Civil War veteran Capt. Isaac P. Fall (1830-1909) was recognized on his grave at Portland Street Cemetery as a member of Company B, 27th Regiment; Company F, 31st Regiment, and Company F, 32nd Regiment of the Maine Volunteers. Later a contractor who hauled brick and sand, he is associated in local archives with the construction of the Business Block after the downtown South Berwick fire of 1870.
This building is part of the South Berwick Village District on the National Register of Historic Places. The family who lived in this house in the 1800s and early 1900s believes it was built by Edmund Haggens (1759-1829), a "trader," about 1800. Haggens' brother, John Haggens, built the Sarah Orne Jewett House, and similarities have been noted in the construction of the two houses. A trader was what we would call a real estate developer today. Edmund Haggens married Susanna Hamilton, an aunt of Jonathan Hamilton, in 1788 and they had four children. By 1816 he was one of the five wealthiest men in South Berwick, according to tax records. Maj. Edmund Haggens died in 1827.
Just after mid-century, the house was purchased by Isaac Hersom, who was born 15 Jan 1825 and died 04 Apr 1911. A merchant who operated the Hersom Grain Store in the village in the late 1800s, he was one of South Berwick's town assessors in the 1870s, a selectman in 1875, 1876, 1879 and 1882. His grandson, George E. Hersom, had a wood working shop here, and great-grandson Robert Hersom grew up here in the early 1900s.
This building is part of the South Berwick Village District on the National Register of Historic Places. Civil War veteran Henry G. Harvey (1832-1888) was a member of Company B of the 27th Regiment Maine Volunteers. He was a building contractor, and he built this Colonial Revival home in the decade after the war.
This house does not appear on maps of the 1870s, but deed research shows the original owner was John Holmes Burleigh, former sea captain, owner of the woolen mill at Great Works, and a United States Congressman. The Burleigh Mansion stood up the hill directly across the street, as does the later Burleigh-Davidson House, now part of Berwick Academy. Descendants of the Burleighs state that in the late 1800s, this house was home to two of Capt. Burleigh's sons, Charles and Walter.
This house was demolished on December 1, 2009. It seems to have been built as a duplex. In the 1870s it was occupied by Charles Keays, a mason who lived from 1812 to 1879, and George W. Keays, who lived from 1818 to 1884.