Established 1600's - Vine Street, near Old Fields Road and Brattle Street - MAP IS BELOW
Veterans' graves

Overlooking Leigh's Mill Pond, Old Fields Burying Ground on Vine Street, South Berwick, Maine, is one of the oldest cemeteries in the United States, dating from the 1600s. It was the main burial place of the town's first European settlers -- families such as those of Thomas Spencer (c. 1596-1681) and Humphrey Chadbourne (1615-1667) and his father, William Chadbourne (1562-1682). The Chadbourne Family Association placed a marker recognizing William Chadbourne's arrival in 1634. After the community's 1652 submission to Massachusetts Bay Colony, it was ordered that a meeting house be built, and around 1660 the settlers did so nearby, on the intersection of today's Brattle Street and Old South Road, at what was then the town center.

Freewill Baptist Cemetery
Established c. 1835 - Main Street
Freewill Baptist Cemetery

 

Many South Berwick citizens of the 1800s and early 1900s have been laid to rest in this beautiful historic cemetery located right in the heart of South Berwick Village. The 1835 South Berwick Free Baptist Church, containing the 1890 South Berwick town clock and shown at left on Main Street, is part of the interesting story of Maine Baptists and the temperance movement of the early 1800s.

Click here to read more Freewill Baptist Church history

The earliest grave recorded here is that of Eliza J. Earl, a two-day-old infant who died in 1813, indicating the cemetery may have begun as a family burial plot on an Earl family farm.  World War I Veteran Chester Guy Earl (1893-1957), Pvt Company G, 36th Infantry, was buried here much later.

Portland Street Cemetery
Established 1818 - Agamenticus Road

Portland Street Cemetery on Agamenticus Road

In March, 1817, a merchant named Micajah Currier, writing his will, provided funds for the creation of a new burying ground “for the inhabitants of Berwick and South Berwick,” according toYork County, Maine Will Abstracts. Currier's tomb was the first to be placed there, in 1818. This was how Portland Street Cemetery began. In those days Agamenticus Road would have been a country lane without a name. Nearby, however, was the Meeting House of the Plain, on a spot that became the Soldiers' Monument at the Portland Street intersection. Built as a Baptist church, it also served for town meetings in the 1800s.

At least 45 Civil War veterans are buried here, as well as veterans of the Revolutionary War, the War of 1812, and the two world wars.

Currier's tomb, right foreground, at Portland Street Cemetery on Agamenticus Road, with Powderhouse Hill in the distance at left

Pleasant Hill Cemetery
Wadleigh Lane

Ernie Wood of the VFW places a flag at a veteran's grave at Pleasant Hill Cemetery

Pleasant Hill Cemetery is an historic burying ground originally associated with the Great Works woolen mill on Brattle Street, and dates to at least the mid-1800s.  At least 27 Civil War veterans and those of two world wars are buried here, as well as many textile mill workers once employed at the Newichawanick Woolen Company.  The Second Advent Society at Great Works had a small church opposite the cemetery and a bit downhill.  The society was founded in 1870 by Rev. J. G. Smith and Rev. T. W. Piper and 15 original members. 

Woodlawn Cemetery

Agamenticus Road

Tomb of George F. Knight at Woodlawn Cemetery, undated photo.

Woodlawn Cemetery, the largest and newest in South Berwick, was created on an old Libby family homestead and burial site that dates to the 18th century.  As Portland Street Cemetery began to near its capacity in the 1880s, Woodlawn began to be regularly used. It now contains hundreds of 20th century graves, including many veterans of World Wars I and II.  It is maintained by the South Berwick Cemetery Association.

 “This monument is raised in the original family burying ground on the homestead of Dea. B. Libby, as a memorial to the long neglected dead which repose here, some thirty in number,” reads a Woodlawn Cemetery marker “erected by the descendants of Dea. John Libby, A.D. 1881.” 

 Tomb of George F. Knight

JSN Epic is designed by JoomlaShine.com