frost tankard7:30 pm (Berwick Academy)

Historian Barbara Ward will discuss the characteristics and history of early New England church silver including the collection held by South Berwick's First Parish Federated Church.

In one of the region’s better-known tragedies of the 17th century, Charles Frost was killed by Indians on his way home from Sunday meeting in 1697.  Twenty-seven years later, the will of his son Charles left the Frost family’s silver tankard to the congregation. Descendants of those parishioners, today’s First Parish Federated Church, still proudly cherish this historic tankard today.

The talk, entitled “Early New England Church Silver and the First Federated Church Collection,” will begin at 7:30 pm on Thursday, March 28, at Berwick Academy's Jeppesen Science Center on Academy Street. The public is invited and refreshments will be served.

Ward is Director/Curator of the Moffatt-Ladd House and Garden in Portsmouth, NH.  She has written widely about early American silver.  She is Adjunct Assistant Professor at Massachusetts College of Art, and for many years taught museum studies at Tufts University.

One of Ward’s articles for a Winterthur Museum publication was on early church silver and entitled, “Communion Vessels and Community Values in Seventeenth- and Eighteenth-Century New England.”

Ward’s lecture is part of the Old Berwick Historical Society's 2013 series of talks, walks and historical events tied to the 300th anniversary of the Berwicks’ existence as an independent town. Events will include lectures, tours and public programs focused on the history of this area of Maine and the Piscataqua during the 1600s and 1700s. 

In 1713, the old town of Berwick – comprising today’s Berwick, South Berwick and North Berwick -- was founded when it separated from Kittery. The anniversary series is made possible by member donations and by grants from the Maine Humanities Council and Kennebunk Savings.

An exhibit called “Berwick Begins” is now on display in South Berwick Town Hall, and a new archaeology exhibit will open next summer at the society’s Counting House Museum.

More information on the Counting House Museum and all the Old Berwick Historical Society’s programs is available at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it., or by calling (207) 384-0000.

 

JSN Epic template designed by JoomlaShine.com