This building is part of the South Berwick Village District on the National Register of Historic Places. Dr. Christopher P. Gerrish (1829-1909) was the “town physician and surgeon.” His medical practice was listed in many South Berwick town reports and the Maine Directory from the 1870s until after the turn of the last century.
Throughout the 1800s, South Berwick's town government hired doctors to treat poor families at home or at the Town Farm. Until the development of state-funded modern welfare systems in the 20 th century, poor families, elderly residents and destitute immigrants depended on town support. By the mid-1800s the South Berwick Town Farm, also known as the Alms House, included 100 acres on both sides of Knight's Pond Road, and was worked by residents who were able. (Some of this land is the South Berwick Town Forest today.)
Town physicians over the years included Sarah Orne Jewett 's father, Dr. Theodore F. Jewett, Dr. Charles Trafton, and Dr. Caleb Sanborn.
Records at Bowdoin College state that Christopher Prentiss Gerrish was born in West Lebanon, Maine, on December 22, 1829. He attended Dartmouth and graduated from Bowdoin in 1855. He married Hattie A. Hill of Berwick the same year and they had a son, Edward, and daughter, Clara. Dr. Gerrish practiced medicine briefly in Somersworth, NH, and in York, ME, for ten years before moving to South Berwick in 1867, where they lived in a house still standing at 373 Main Street. Here he served on the board of health and as superintendent of schools.
Hattie Hill Gerrish (1835-1908)
About 1880, about the time that the Methodist Episcopal Church was moved from the corner of Main and Park Streets to the present site of Dunkin Donuts, Dr. Gerrish, who was a trustee of the church for many years, built this Italianate style home next door at 155 Main Street. Hattie Gerrish died in 1808, and Dr. Gerrish died of cancer February 3, 1909.
Their son, Edward E. Gerrish, was listed as a “conductor” in the 1900 census, when he would have been 42. He inherited the house at 155 Main Street, and died in 1931.