Read about the Sixties Dance and order your tickets here.
Thank you to our sponsor, Alie Jewelers, and the chateau vacation donor, the La Napoule Art Foundation. All our donors have given generously in support of the Counting House Museum and local history programs. You can support our work by patronizing the fine businesses and thanking our donors.
Fund A Need
At the 1960s Dance, you can support new exhibits going up at the Counting House next summer. Become a donor by clicking here or on the JustGive logo at right. Thank you!
Here are our wonderful items received so far (Please keep checking back for regular updates):
LIVE AUCTION ITEM: VACATION AT A FRENCH CHATEAU
Accommodations for two for 6 days (5 nights) at the Chateau de La Napoule near Cannes on the French Riviera will be auctioned live at the 1960s Dance. The room, in the former home of an Austrian princess across the street from the chateau, has a private bath and balcony with superb views and Mediterranean breezes. Take the train to Monte Carlo, shop the boutiques of Nice, visit a new museum each day, or stroll walled villages of the feudal era, now filled with artists and craftsmen. Come home, take a swim in the sea, and sip a glass of wine as you watch the sunset. Continental breakfast included. Benefit must be used within 18 months, and winners must contact donor within one month of the auction. Value of package: $3500. Minimum bid: $1500. For more details please click here.
Advertise on Hot 104.7 Radio Station, $1500 worth of advertising schedule which equals 30 :30 second commercials, also swag bag, $50 value, containing 3 CDs: Gotye, Slaughter House and Lil Wayne, Gotye tee shirt and temporary lip tattoos, plus 104.7 stickers.
Framed honeybee counted cross stitch sampler in tones of green, pink and gold, 17" x 18.5". Made by Beatrice Whitney. Value: $125
- $100 Gift Certificate to Joshua's Restaurant & Bar, on Route 1 in Wells. "Joshua's commitment to freshness requires buying from many sources. His priority is always freshness first, organic or natural second, local or from Maine third. He can hit the trifecta on vegetables coming from our own farm." Open year round.
- Voucher for 2 to attend any Music Hall Presents live performance at Portsmouth Music Hall through June 30, 2013 - Value $75.
- 16 MB Google Nexus 7 , donated by Smilie Rogers. Value $250.
- A collection of mint United States commemorative stamps, almost complete from 1938-1982- many 100’s of different varieties, all in prime condition, mounted in a Scott album. The perfect beginning to a new hobby that can truly teach young or old a lot of American history. Can also be used to mail your mail in a unique manner. From now on YOUR mail will get NOTICED! No more of those boring “forever” stamps. And think how much fun you will have watching the postmaster have to add up all those 3, 4 and 5-cent stamps to see if you really have 45 cents on the envelope! Donated by Harvey Bennett. Retail value at least $400.
• 1986 Joseph Phelps "Insignia" Napa Valley Bordeaux Blend. Rated 90 points by Robert Parker, who wrote: “The exotic, sexy fragrance of roasted coffee, sweet cedar, red and black fruits, spices, and ginger struck me as vaguely reminiscent of the 1947 Mouton-Rothschild. In the mouth, the wine is another animal, exhibiting sweet, juicy fruit, medium to full body, and a surprising herbaceousness that is nicely balanced by the wine's lush, concentrated fruit, high glycerin, and overall size. This may be a controversial Cabernet given its exaggerated personality, but I loved it!” Donated by Paula and Harvey Bennett. Value: $150
Classic wooden doll house, 24" x 22" x 14", furnished with 24 pieces and family members, including seasonal accessories, even a Santa and sleigh! Night Before Christmas book included. Donated by Ginny Alterio. Value $300
- Hand hooked 20" x 24" wool rug made by Pat Laska. Wool comes from leftover Hike through History vest materials. Attractive blue tweed background highlighting yellow/pink posies mixed with blue/green tweed vines. Value $225. Minimum bid $50.
Breaking bread with Jim Haller and Jack Byrne - Six people will join international award-winning chef James Haller and co-author and editor Jack Byrne of Vie de France, hosted at the 1770 Chadbourne House in South Berwick, home of Ginny Smith and Marc Alterio. Guests will enjoy conversation about gourmet cooking, travel and anything else. Jim's signature Parisian fish stew prepared before your eyes will be served along with his freshly baked bread, followed by Marc and Ginny's tenderloin of beef and all the trimmings. Offered Saturday, January 19, 2013 at 6PM. Value: $1000. Minimum bid $500.
- Pandora Sterling silver bracelet with hand blown murano glass charm, 2 S clips and 2 open heart spacers. Also included with this bracelet is a $50.00 gift certificate for the Jewelers' Outlet
- Oil and vinegar cruet set made in Italy. Glass cruets in silver caddy by Gruppo Greggio. Donated by Wendy Pirsig. Value: $115.
- Lady's upholstered Victorian chair and footstool. Donated by Vicky and Bruce Whitney. Value $150.
- 1997 First day of issue stamps "Bugs Bunny" framed commemorative set. Donated by Dick Lowe.
- Add new bling to your wardrobe! Retro costume jewelry collection including earrings, necklaces, and a few bracelets and brooches. Three trays of novelty items to bid on, including 60's beads, tropical earrings, and an unusual set of cameo earrings. From Richard Becker Antiques. Value $25 for each of three trays.
- Save your back bag. An ergonomic type, wonderful bag. A Marj Hastings original in a pretty patterned material. Value $75.
• Spring grasses original matted print made of cut paper including origami paper and bleeding tissue that runs when it's wet and so creates an effect something like water color paint. Signed by the artist. Size 10" x 9". Made by Margaret Brentano. Value: $35
- Unique folk art! Set of 10 delightful, colorful, hand carved Russian ornaments, each one a figure with a personality of its own. Russian ornamental ladle included. Value $450. Donated by Joyce Borkowski.
•Large fabric pocketbook in fall/winter colors with antique brass ball handle and chain to wear over the shoulder. Measures 16" x 20". Made by Elaine Holland. Value: $40
- Set of 2 tickets to Ogunquit Playhouse
- Michael Michaud bronze and dyed coral blueberry pin. Value $95. Donated by Jewelers' Outlet.
• Watercolor of pink lilies by DeWitt Hardy, one of the country's most respected watercolorists, paints landscapes, portraits, and nudes. His works underscore the beauty of the medium, from luminous transparency to the radiance of subtle coloration. His paintings have been featured in sixteen one-person shows in New York City, and are distributed among forty-one museums, including the British Museum, London; Smithsonian Institution, Washington, D.C.; and Cleveland Art Museum. Value: $500.
- Michael Michaud bronze and dyed coral blueberry earrings. Value $59. Donated by Jewelers' Outlet.
• Learn how to use Ancestry.com to investigate your family’s past. Along with a six-month gift membership to Ancestry.com, you will get four 1½-hour training sessions with professional genealogist Beth Tykodi. Value: $350
- Framable family tree chart donated by Gillian Cusack. Value $45.
•Reach a potential 90,000 readers with an ad in The Weekly Sentinel newspaper. One black & white 2”x3"-sized ad to run during the week of your choice. Value $60
• Daffodils original matted print made of origami and construction paper and yellow index card, cut free hand (no lines drawn). Signed by the artist. Size 10" x 9". Made by Margaret Brentano.
- Mary Jane Doubleday signed Sterling silver pearl earrings. Donated by Jewlers' Outlet. Value $119.
•Wooden shell plaque carved by renowned furniture maker Allan Breed. The 9" x 16" design came from a Philadelphia low boy drawer front. Value: $400
• Two delicious ham and broccoli quiches, deep dish made by Puff Uhlman. Value: Priceless
• Listen to waves, enjoy the view! Three days in Bruce and Vicky Whitney’s quintessential Maine cottage in Ogunquit, near beach, Perkins Cove and trolley – June or Sept. - Value $650. Minimum bid $300.
- A night with chef Ben Hasty in your kitchen! He will come to your home and prepare a dinner of small plates to share. He will provide the food and interactive entertainment- Dinner would be best for no more then 8 people. hosts will provide wine/drinks, etc. This would be a really fun way to spend a night with friends or family. Value $400.
• Dom Perignon Champagne, 1988 Sealed box edition, Moet et Chandon á Epernay. Donated by Ginny Alterio. Value: $325
- Gift basket of artisan chocolates by Azul. Value $30
•$25 gift certificates to Alexander's Restaurant, Rollinsford, NH
• A Day in the Bee Yard. A first-hand look at the inner workings of a bee hive. Join Jack and Michelle Kareckas as they go through an open hive inspection of their bee colonies. Included is one quart of honey produced from our local fields, forests and garden. Priceless
- Under the Isles of Shoals - Archaeology and Discovery on Smuttynose Island, by award-winning history writer J. Dennis Robinson, signed by the author. Recent discoveries by Nathan Hamilton and his archaeology students, with writeup on OBHS dig at the Chadbourne site by Tad Baker.
•Art photo of the historic Memorial Bridge in Portsmouth, signed by Eli L. Badger. Matted and framed size 18" x 22". Donated by Norma Keim. Value: $200
• Apple of Your Eye! Savor York County’s best at harvest time: Two quarts of homemade applesauce are paired with an applesauce gingerbread cake and a gift basket of heirloom apples from McDougal Orchards, established in 1779. Cake and applesauce are from the South Berwick kitchen of Nina Maurer. Value: $50.
• Beautiful queen-size quilted coverlet, pattern in floral pastels, 80” x 92”. "My Latticed Garden" machine quilted by Marcy Stanley, machine pieced by Louise Dixon Ford. Pocket sleeved allows wall hanging. Value: $600. Minimum bid: $200
•1795 map of old Berwick, framed replica, donated by Ginny Alterio. Value $100
- Walking stick hand carved by Ken St. Hilaire. Value $75.
- Antique sterling silver Revere candlestick holders. Value $150. Donated by Rick and Kiki Stevens.
•Exploring the First Years of South Berwick. Two-hour car tour with Norma Keim (retired) of the Old Berwick Historical Society explores ancient roads, settlements and mill sites. The Placenames of South Berwick included. Value: Priceless
- Half hour general estate planning by Smilie G. Rogers PLLC, A Trusts, Estates & Tax Practice - Serving Maine and Massachusetts. Value $113.
- Three watercolor paintings by Pat Hardy. Greenhouse series, matted and framed
- Hand crafted mushroom and miniature house habitat "perfect for your woodland friends". Donated by Jewelers' Outlet. Value: $43.
For enjoying Chinese cuisine, 10 pairs of handsome matching dark wood chopsticks from China. Donated by Wendy Pirsig. Value $20.
• $50 gift certificate, Emporium Framing and Gallery, South Berwick.
• Heroes of Exile, first edition, originally given to Fogg Memorial, Berwick Academy, by author Sarah Orne Jewett in 1907. Donated by Ginny Alterio. Value: $35
- Mary Jane Doubleday signed Sterling silver pearl necklace. Donated by Jewelers' Outlet. Value: $199.
- Small acrylic by George Burk, Rachel Carson Preserve, low tide V, Fall 2002. Burk teaches painting and drawing at the University of Southern Maine. He has had 30 one-person exhibitions, and his art in many museums across the country and in Italy. Value $325.
- Large glazed beige/brown ceramic votive, cutout daisy pattern, 12"h x 6"w. Donated by Bruce and Vicky Whitney. Value: $50
•1872 map of South Berwick,matted and framed, 31" x 21", donated by Ginny Alterio. Value: $100
• Framed needlepoint of pansies, vibrantly colored, framed and matted, 22" x 22". Donated by Vicky Whitney. Value: $100
- Hand-enameled Sterling silver wolf earrings by Bamboo Company. Donated by Jewelers' Outlet. Value: $53.
• Fonseco Porto, 20-year-old port, bottled in Portugal, donated by Ginny Alterio. Value: $50
- Coffee sampler from the Carpe Diem Coffee Roasting Company. Value: $35
• $50 gift certificate to Simone Gorman's beauty salon LaMode in South Berwick
• Dragonfly Landscape consultation. Walk your property, receive a sketch or photos with notes and plant list. Value $160.
- Antique sterling silver compote bowl donated by Rick and Kiki Stevens. Value $175
•Pair of Season Tickets to the Community Chorus at South Berwick’s 2012-13 season. Concerts are December 1 and 2, 2012; and April 13 and 14, 2013. 60 singers from throughout the Seacoast region under the direction of Dr. Harry Moon. The December 2012 concert will be “ A Christmas Garland- Gloria in excelsis Deo” with music celebrating the season with accompaniment by Brass Quintet and percussion. Spring 2013 concert will be “With Voices of Singing” with guest choir – Sandpipers Children’s Chorus, accompanied by String Ensemble. Value: $48
- Certificate for selection of heirloom plants ready for planting end of May, including annuals from the Heirloom Garden of Maine and perennials from local historic gardens. Donated by Nancy and Gary Wetzel. Value $50.
• Single Malt Scotch Whiskey Unchilled filtered collection, signatory vintage, 1991, 46% alc. Donated by Ginny Alterio. Value: $75
- Lacy, delicate, pale yellow shawl hand knit by Sally Gilbride. "Ethereal" pattern by Lakshmi Juneja uses Lisa Souza fingering wool, pale jonquil color with tiny beads. Priceless!
- 8 color prints from original 1956 folio by Frederick Remington, superbly reproduced. Donated by Rick and Kiki Stevens. Value $200.
- Sail on the new gundalow! Gundalow Company "Mate" level 1-year membership and 3 sail passes. Value $100.
•Antique Victorian autograph book with embossed, gilded cover, unsigned. Value: $25
- Aggie's Ice Cream $20 gift certificates
• Warm, lined suede sheepskin slippers made in Yorkshire, England. Men's size 12. Donated by Wendy Pirsig. Value: $50
- Four art prints: Old Archway Garci-Crespo and Iglesia del Carmen Pueblo prints by John Kabel, End of Day by Roland Clark, and Notre Dame de Montreal by Al Wittel. Donated by Rick and Kiki Stevens. Value $100.
- Rochester Opera House - 2 tickets to a family series show of your choice, basic seating, before August 24, 2013. Value $48.
- Watercolor "Orchids and Zebras" by Marcia Christensen matted and framed with a black metal frame, 13" x 16"
- Set of three holiday journeybags made by Nora Irvine for wine and small (8" x 13") and large (10" x 17") gifts. Reusable, innovative gift wrap alternative. Value $67.
- A dozen homemade cupcakes by Rachel Wendell and the Creative Cupcake Company. All cupcakes are made to order using only the finest and freshest ingredients. Value $24.
- Small hat hand-knit by Wendy Pirsig with yarn from local sheep. Value $20.