|9. 1870 – Business Block - 241-287 Main Street|
With their awnings and granite hitching posts, the shops of the new business block opened to great fanfare in 1871, on the site where a dozen businesses and homes were destroyed in a fire the summer before. In newspaper ads, the connected row of new stores advertised products “such as to make the mouth water and the eyes glitter” -- tin stoves and leather boots, cornmeal and fine jewelry, ladies’ hats and croup syrup. Over the years, the Central Square stores at the Corner have offered South Berwick shoppers products from baby bottles to coffins. With the coming of Hollywood pictures in the 20th century, there was even a movie theater. For more than 130 years the block at The Corner has been an icon of South Berwick village, and is now a cornerstone of the South Berwick Historic District listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
Located at the junction of Main and Portland Streets, two ancient roads from the Salmon Falls River landings in the south to Berwick in the north and Portland in the east, the site has attracted commerce since the 1700s.
From The York County Atlas of 1872:
18-N.W. Kendall Stationer
(This page was revised in January 2010.)